Google's web masters offer tips on the top SEO mistakes for businesses to avoid.
We recently mentioned an old-ish video pointing out some of the mistakes that "ordinary" businesses made on their web sites.
A few months ago, Google's webmaster services group responded to the question "What are the top 3-5 SEO areas where webmasters make the most mistakes?" with a YouTube video:
The key points made (expressed as dos rather than don'ts) are:
- Make sure your site is crawlable, ie, that every page can be reached (even indirectly) from the home page
- Think about the words people are likely to use when searching, and include those phrases in your pages (eg, "how high is Mount Everest?" rather than "Mount Everest elevation"). There's some specific advice for restaurateurs in this context, but it can probably be generalised.
- Consider your website as part of your marketing efforts, not as a separate activity.
- Think carefully about the title and description of your major pages, especially the home page, and experiment with different texts to see what works best.
- Take advantage of Google's free webmaster tools.