Sony has announced a laptop power adaptor for its new Vaio Pro 11 and 13 that's also a WiFi hotspot. Plug it into the hotel Internet, and you've got WiFi for your phone.
Sony has announced a pair of new Vaio series laptops, the Vaio Pro 11 and 13, which have a very interesting feature - the power adapter is also a WiFI router.
We're checking with Sony whether this adapter is included, or if you have to buy it separately.
The idea according to Sony, is that the power adapter can double as a Wi-Fi router, turning your hotel’s Ethernet connection into your own on-the-go hotspot. Handy if you want to use your phone for emails and web while you're lying in bed.
According to the product page on the Sony website, the adapter can provide a Wi-Fi Internet connection for up to five devices simultaneously.
Sony claims that both laptops are the lightest touch screen enabled Ultrabooks on the market. The Vaio Pro 11 weighs 870g and the Vaio Pro 13 weighs 1.06kg.
The battery life claims made by Sony are impressive, though take them with a grain of salt. Sony says the Vaio Pro 13 should last eight hours before needing a charge, while Vaio Pro 11 will run for an impressive 11 hours.
Both devices also support a thin sheet battery accessory that clips onto the bottom and more than doubles the battery life on both Ultrabooks - that could be handy on long haul flights. We’ll reserve our judgement on battery life until we’ve done a full review.
Other notable features of the Vaio Pro series of laptops include:
- 1080P touchscreen display
- Both models include full-size backlit keyboards
- One-year warranty with in-home service
- NFC support so you can tap and share with NFC enabled mobile devices
- Carbon fibre construction (25% stronger and 47% lighter than aluminium)
- Constant net connection feature even in sleep mode, allowing it to sync email, calendar and social media
- HDMI output, SD memory card slot, Bluetooth 4.0, 2xUSB 3.0 ports
- Configurable up to 512GB SSD storage, 8GB of RAM and Intel i5 or i7 Haswell processors
Sony confirmed a local release date of early June with pricing starting from $1,299 for the Vaio Pro 11 and $1,399 for the Vaio Pro 13. No word yet on the pricing for the wireless router/power adapter accessory.