The Microsoft Surface Pro is not officially for sale in Australia yet, but if you can't wait you can pick up an imported model from Mobicity or Expansys.
[Ed. Update: We've been alerted that the prices listed on the Mobicity and Expansys sites for these products are ex-GST. We've added the prices including GST in the article below. Interestingly, the Mobicity site doesn't appear to disclose GST (from what we can see, anyway) until the final stage of checkout. We've also added a section at the bottom of this article dealing with GST if you're buying from Expansys.]
If your patience is beginning to wear thin waiting for the Aussie release of Microsoft’s new hybrid tablet-ultrabook device, the Surface Pro, you could buy one up from an online reseller.
Mobicity and Expansys are listing the Surface Pro for sale on their web sites.
Expansys is cheaper at $1,075 (at the time of writing) for the 64GB version but from what we can tell (see more on GST at the bottom of this article) there might be GST on top of that . [This sentence has been updated to add reference to GST].
Mobicity charges $1,199 for the 128GB model. Add $119.90 GST and a $52 "Customs and courier GST processing fee" and the total is $1370.90 before the delivery cost is added. [This paragraph has been updated to add reference to GST].
Next, you need to add delivery costs to the above prices - Mobicity charges $19 and Expansys charges $30.
Mobicity and Expansys sell overseas stock, which means the Surface Pro will need to be posted back to the online store should you require replacement or repairs. This means incurring a one-way postage cost but both Mobicity and Expansys pay for the return postage.
Usually if you purchased from a retail store (like the Surface RT at Harvey Norman) than you would just drop it in to the retailer and they will take care of postage and repairs for you if it is within warranty.
For those curious, this is what the Mobicity web site states regarding warranty:
- DOA Replacement with brand new if there is an initial fault reported.
- Assessment Guarantee within 48 hours of receipt, generally 24 hours or less.
- New For Old Replacement if we can't repair we replace with brand new items.
- Repair Guarantee within 30 days (normally <7 days) and a replacement device offered if outside guaranteed time-frame.
- Return Postage is included on all repaired and replacement items.
- Manufacturer's Equivalent warranty is same as that of the original manufacturer (Samsung, Sony, etc).
- If the goods are found to be faulty within 14 days, customers are entitled for either a full refund or replacement. Any item may be returned for any reason within 14 days from the date of dispatch. If you want to return the goods which are NON-DEFECTIVE within the 14 days period, please note that the returns should be in AS NEW CONDITION with FULL PACKING and DOCUMENTATION. If the goods are not in AS NEW condition or missing any packaging or damaged packaging, we reserve the right to refuse refund or a restocking fee of up to 25% will be charged depending on the condition of the returned goods. Delivery costs will not be refunded. To return the goods, please parcel them properly, including all originally provided manuals, accessories and packaging.
- If the goods are found to be faulty after 14 days and within 12 months of purchase, the customer can send the faulty goods to our office, together with relevant invoice and EXPANSYS can arrange for repair services. Post fault investigation and within the specified warranty period, EXPANSYS repair service will be actioned at our discretion (please see Exclusions below), at no cost to the customer. For repair services covered by the warranty, the cost of shipping the goods back to the customer will be borne by EXPANSYS.
Mobicity doesn't appear (as far as we could see) to disclose that prices listed for the Surface Pro are ex-GST, until you get to the final stage of checkout. [Update: Mobicity contacted us to confirm the following - "MobiCity charges GST automatically only on orders over $1000. The checkout calculates this automatically if the order subtotal is over $1000. " They also asked we include the following links here and here.]
At the Expansys site however we couldn't see any final total that included GST. That doesn't necessarily mean you won't be paying GST though. The Expansys site has the following statement about GST in their terms and conditions:
4.0 GST and Local Authority Driven Fees & Charges
Please note, that Expansys cannot artificially understate the value of an order, and will not refund delivery costs in either direction should goods need to be returned due to customer’s refusal to pay local fees and charges by their local authorities. Please understand your potential local fees and charges before you place your order with us. By placing your order with us you accept these terms.