Seven top LinkedIn tips
To grow your network, you do have to put some effort in, but you will reap the benefits.
1. Make your profile as interesting and engaging as possible. Don’t be plain and boring, just listing your positions and skills. Be imaginative and make your profile stand out from the rest.
2. Even if you spend 15 minutes a day adding people you know to your profile, you can quickly grow your connections.
3. Recommend others and they will hopefully recommend you back.
4. Don’t be afraid to ask colleagues, ex-colleagues and people you’ve worked with (such as clients) to write you a recommendation that will show on your profile for all to see.
5. Get involved in industry-related groups. Like Facebook, there are thousands of groups to join on LinkedIn. Not only will you learn a lot and find content to share, you can also actively contribute and use them to grow your personal network.
6. Try and post yourself or comment on other people’s posts regularly. But don’t post too often or just for the sake of it. Whether you share content you’ve found outside of LinkedIn or within LinkedIn, make sure it’s relevant to your industry to get the highest levels of engagement.
7. Make use of LinkedIn Pulse, where you’ll find – and can post – longer form blog posts to position yourself as an industry thought leader.