Reviews in this Group Test
If you’re looking for enterprise-grade network storage for a server room, then chances are you're looking at a rack-mounted appliance. These units offer the maximum amount of capacity, with all the management options a sysadmin or IT manager could ask for.
What really singles Qnap’s TS-1263U out from its competition is the support for 10GbE – even taking into account the fact that you’ll need to source a transceiver separately, there are very few rivals offering the same functionality at this price bracket. Complemented by robust features and solid performance, that makes the TS-1263U excellent value.
- Price: From $2,665 (diskless).
- Specs: 12 x hot-swappable drive bays; 2GHz AMD GX-420MC processor; 4GB DDR3 RAM; RAID 0, 1, 5, 6, 10, hot spare and JBOD options.
Synology RackStation RS2416RP+
Data protection and cloud integration are the strong suits of this NAS, with the Synology RackStation RS2416RP+ offering staggering restore speeds from snapshots. It won’t be able to keep up with some of the most powerful enterprise-grade NAS appliances on the market, but it’s ideal for smaller businesses.
- Price: From $3,003 (diskless)
- Specs: 12 x hot-swappable drive bays; 2.4GHz Intel Atom C2538 processor; 2GB DDR3 RAM; RAID 0, 1, 5, 6, SHR, hot spare and JBOD options.
Businesses looking for versatility will be pleased to note that this storage array includes support for two operating systems: QES for mission-critical storage, and QTS for general-purpose NAS tasks. There's no hot-swapping between operating systems, and you’ll have to do a complete reset and re-installation if you want to switch, but fast speeds and good value paired with great flexibility make this rack device a real winner.
- Price: $8,284 (64GB RAM, diskless)
- Specs: 12 x hot-swappable drive bays; 2.2GHz six-core D-1531 Xeon processor; 64GB/128GB DDR4 RAM; RAID 1, 5, 6, 10, 50, 60, RAIDTP and Triple Mirror options.
Perfect for the business on a budget, the Qnap TVS-EC1280U-SAS-RP is an enterprise storage appliance at an SMB price. On top of great value, it offers heaps of support for cloud backup apps, an embedded SAS 3 expansion port and a superb management console.
- Price: $8,366 (8GB RAM, diskless)
- Specs: 12 x hot-swappable drive bays; 3.5GHz Intel Xeon E3-1246 v3 processor; 8GB/16GB DDR3; RAID 0, 1, 5, 6, 10, hot spare and JBOD options.
This feature is based on an article that originally appeared at IT Pro.